Rokeby boys love their Houses. We have four: Bazalgette, Galsworthy, Moody and Olive, each one with a Captain who sits on the School Council. There are many inter-house competitions, which are great fun.
Originally there were three Rokeby Houses: Red, Black and Grey, these were the colours of the Rokeby logo.
In the year of the Millennium, a fourth house was introduced which changed the whole structure of Rokeby houses and provided an opportunity for new ideas and names for the houses.
Today we our four houses are: Bazelgette, Galsworthy, Moody and Olive
Rokeby School was originally one of a number of houses on George Road owned by the Galsworthy family (John Galsworthy wrote The Forsyte Saga). Although it was no longer residential when Rokeby arrived, the buildings were still largely laid out as a country house.
Moody was named after our retired Headmaster, Roy Moody. Mr Moody graduated from Cambridge and spent 14 years at Rokeby School.
Charles Daniel Olive the founder of Rokeby was the son of Edmund Olive who was born in 1803 in Frome Somerset. At the time of Charles Olive’s birth in 1851 in Frome Edmund described himself as a Land Proprietor and Fund Holder. Charles was educated at Clifton College before going up to Christ Church, Oxford where he graduated in the early 1870s. After coming down from Oxford he taught for a year or two as an assistant master before beginning to think of starting a school of his own. Towards the beginning of the year 1877 the young Charles Olive MA arrived in Wimbledon, which was then slowly awakening from a relatively undistinguished past due to the advent of the railway. His enquiries among the local people suggested the area was badly in need of a school. A house named ‘Helmsley’ opposite ‘Gothic Lodge’ by the Crooked Billet was taken and opened as a school on 18th September 1877. In the first term the records stated that there were ’No Boys’! In the second term the first boy was enrolled, Charles J. Saunders.Charles Olive eventually retired as Headmaster in 1909 and his son Gabriel took over the running of the school through until 1939 (62 years’ service between them). With the youth of Europe being slaughtered in their thousands across the Channel the death of a man already old by the standards of the time could only muster three and a half lines of column space in the Wimbledon and District Gazette for Saturday 21st April 1917: ‘Mr C.D Olive, late principal of Rokeby School, The Downs, died at Mill House, Brentwood on Saturday aged 66.’
Bazalgette was named after a former pupil at Rokeby. S/L I.W. Bazalgette, DFC, RAFVR was awarded a VC during World War II.
The Victoria Cross (VC) was instituted by Queen Victoria in 1854 and awarded for overwhelming acts of heroism. The VC was and remains Britian's highest award and continues to be the only decoration that can be awarded posthumously; to both Commissioned and Non-Commissioned ranks of all three armed forces.