History

The front of the school

Rokeby was originally a prep school in Wimbledon that was founded in 1877. In 1965 the then owner of the school stated his intent to close it, and a group of parents decided that it must be rescued. Rokeby Educational Trust Limited, a charity, was set up in 1966 to establish a successor school on its current site.

The George Road building was originally one of a number of houses on George Road owned by the Galsworthy family (John Galsworthy wrote The Forsyte Saga). Although it was no longer residential when Rokeby arrived, the buildings were still largely laid out as a country house. Over the years, significant investments have been made. First, there was major conversion work in the main house, then the building of the hall and science block, and a kitchen. The nineties saw the rebuilding of the pre-prep accommodation, followed by the art wing and improved music facilities at the beginning of this decade. Most recently, there has been a significant refurbishment of the library, dining room and office accommodation, and a major investment in enhancing IT.

"Most recently, there has been a significant refurbishment of the library, dining room and office accommodation, and a major investment in enhancing IT. "

For many years, the school made use of external sports facilities that were hired from year to year. After nearly 10 years of searching, the school finally succeeded in buying its own sports fields in Old Malden in 2003, some 10 minutes from the school, where a new pavilion was built.